Monday, June 29, 2009

John heeft een foto van jou getagd op Facebook

Imagine how perplexed I was to see dozens of these kinds of messages in my email inbox when I logged in at an internet cafe in Dublin a couple of weeks ago. At first I thought it was some aggressive spam, but then it dawned on me... it was Dutch! Yes, a language that I speak absolutely NONE of, but the names referenced in the subject lines were names of real friends on Facebook, and words like "foto" lent some credibility to the fact that these were, in fact, bona fide emails.

About 6 days earlier, Special K and I had been in Amsterdam, waiting for our connection to Dublin. Because we had a few hours to kill, we installed ourselves in the KLM lounge and lo and behold if there wasn't free internet access.

We both checked our email, and I updated both Facebook and Twitter.

And because of the 4 hours I was in the Netherlands, Facebook decided that I was most probably fluent in Dutch by then and that I would be happiest with my entire Facebook profile in Dutch as well. Never mind that I've been using Facebook in ENGLISH for the past two and a half years.

In any event, I did manage to get everything switched back to English, but not without canvasing the internet cafe with the question "Does anyone know how to say 'preferences' in Dutch???"

No comments: