Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pack a Lunch -- It's a Long Trip


Another week rolls around and with it, another chapter in my ongoing saga with American Airlines. Yes, that’s right – the adventure continues!

Remember last week when they cancelled one of my reservations on my multi-leg travel itinerary? You think you know what’s coming, but I promise this is even better.

Once again, I tried to check in online on Sunday for my Monday morning flight. This time, when I got the error message on the screen, I resignedly started to push my chair back from the desk to go track down my phone, when something caught my eye and I scooted my chair back in so I could take a closer look.

There was my flight reservation… sort of. But there was something not quite right with the dates. I was booked on a flight from Orange County to San Jose LAST Monday, AND again THIS Monday. Two separate flights. (And I had been to San Diego in the meantime.)

As I looked at my flight details on the screen, I couldn’t believe it: The itinerary actually said that I only had one flight and it was leaving Orange County on Monday, March 3 but not arriving in San Jose until Monday, March 10. Wha??

I clicked on the “view details” button, hoping for a little enlightenment and I couldn’t help but burst out laughing at what I saw. (Screen shot posted here for proof.) Sure enough, there it was: “Travel time: 168 hours 15 mins”

Right below that was “Economy Class Meal: Food for purchase”.

Well, thank GOD for that. At least if American Airlines is going to put me on a 168 hour flight, they will be gracious enough to allow me the privilege of purchasing a bag of mixed nuts for $5.00.

Orange County to San Jose in 168 hours (and 15 minutes). What, were they just planning on taxiing the plane all the way up the 101 Freeway?

4 comments:

KR said...

You poor thing....this just gets better and better doesn't it? Can't wait to hear what's in store for your next trip!

Shari said...

As long as I get where I need to go (and when I'm supposed to go), these little things are just plain funny now. I can't believe I stumped the American Airlines computer systems two weeks in a row!

Nick said...

Your best posting yet. I laughed out loud - THREE TIMES. Can't wait to see you this weekend.

Shari said...

I'm sure I will have many more zany travel tales to tell over time. (Unfortunately!)

Looking forward to Saturday, too! It's been too long!