Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hello New York City!

After almost exactly one month, I am finally back in NYC. I was greeted by a stack of mail about a foot and a half tall and one pretty sour carton of milk that I forgot to dispose of before I left. (Oops.) Also, my building's resident manager is no longer employed here and there are new doormen galore. (A coup in my absence perhaps?)

Bouncing around California the last few weeks has made me used to the 60 and 70-degree weather again and while it was in the balmy 40's when I landed in New York late this afternoon, it still made me wind my scarf more snugly around my neck and dig my gloves out of my suitcase where they've been stashed since I left on Valentine's Day.

I know I'm fortunate to have missed the last couple of storms that passed through the northeast, but the thing about New York is that March and April can actually be WORSE than January and February. It's true that we likely won't get any crazy 20 degree days at this point, but we are VERY likely to still be subject to severe, hard-hitting storms. What makes it worse than having those same storms in January or February is the psychology behind what "March" means on the calendar. It's supposed to mean that spring is practically here with its warmer, sunnier days (home of the vernal equinox and all that) and so when it does snow in March, it's a much harder blow to the psyche.

It was about this time last year when I had to walk home from an evening event during one of the notorious "wintry mix" storms. Luckily, it looks like the weather forecast for the next week or so is pretty good with just a bit of rain on the horizon. Which means that my "wintry mixes" can take their MUCH more appreciated form in frosty martini glasses. Cheers!

No comments: