Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Things are Looking Upward

After a roll of really bad movies and bad luck even with live theatre, I think Special K and I may finally be clawing our way back to some level of palatability and respectability as far as our cultural endeavours go. (At this point, anything that doesn't focus on any part of male anatomy, either real OR fake, would be an improvement.)

This past weekend, I made a quick 48-hour trip down to Orange County and on Saturday night, we hopped in the car and headed to North Hollywood in search of some culture (minus the petri dish).

After an unsuccessful attempt to talk our way into one play (Special K: "I know my assistant made the reservations last week"), we went next door and were happy to see that this particular theatre was featuring a Ray Bradbury play, entitled "Falling Upward".

I do the mental math: Well-known playwright/author with a good track record. Check. I've actually read stuff that he's written. Check. Well-known indie theatre in the entertainment capital of the world. Check. Available seats 5 minutes before curtain. Check check check. It all adds up to me.

As we buy our tickets, the agent says, "I have two tickets left in the front row.... you'll be sitting just a few seats away from Mr. Bradbury."

Do what now, y'all?

I'm still processing this last bit of info as Special K tugs my arm and leads me into the theatre. And sure enough, there is Ray Bradbury sitting at the end of our row, in a wheelchair, accompanied by a couple of folks.

Completely star struck, I am thrilled when he introduces the play himself and describes how the time he spent in Ireland (while writing the screen play for "Moby Dick") generated the humanistic observations that allowed him to write the three short plays that were ultimately fused to create "Falling Upward".

The play takes place in Heeber Finn's pub (a real place that Bradbury frequented) and you immediately get the gist of the environment when you see the sign on the pub wall, "No women, no fighting, no swearing". And indeed, this is the watering hole, gathering place and sanctuary for a diverse group of Irishmen. One of the key characters (and narrator) is played by Pat Harrington -- I did not recognize him until Special K said something about "Schneider" and then it all came rushing back to me. Harrington played the building sup on "One Day at a Time" way back in the day. What a trip to see the swarthy, macho Schneider as a soft-spoken, elderly Irishman.

While the play didn't exactly have a solid plot line, the characters were likeable and fun, the dialogue was clever and the situations were authentic and believable as part of this motley crew's day to day routine. (Think of British films like "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain" or "Waking Ned Devine" and you'll have a sense of the quirky nature of the characters and the overall situations.)

And of course, I introduced myself to Mr. Bradbury at the intermission and imposed upon him for an autograph.

And now the fire has been fanned once again and I am jonesing for a trip to Ireland. (Get ready for some Guinness, Special K!)

No comments: