Friday, August 7, 2009

Hide and Sikh

In early 2008, California was the latest state to pass legislation that prohibits the use of cell phones in cars -- you're now only allowed to chat if you can operate the phone in a hands-free manner. I generally don't like earpieces, so I'm fortunate because I can actually program my phone to work through the speakers inside my car. (Fair warning: if you call me when I'm driving, you'll be on speaker phone!)

Even though this law was widely publicized before it was enacted and even though it was admended early in 2009 to also ban text messaging while driving, it's still common to see people trying to sneak in a quick conversation, phones held to their ears, old-school style.

On Thursday evening, Special K and I were in a cab, headed for the San Jose airport when he pointed out two other drivers on the 101 freeway who were openly and shamelessy gabbing away on their cell phones, without using any sort of hands-free device.

Then our cab driver's cell phone rang. I was seated directly behind him and couldn't really see what was happening, but soon, Special K started to chuckle and asked me in a low voice, "Do you see what's going on up there?" I couldn't, but just assumed that our driver was probably also breaking the law.

When we arrived at the airport, Special K told me what he had actually seen. Our driver was Indian and was wearing the full beard and iconic turban of his Sikh religion. And very cleverly, when he answered his phone, he simply tucked the device under the edge of the snugly wound fabric next to his ear, leaving him completely free to have both hands on the wheel while he chatted animatedly with whoever was on the other line.

Brilliant. I predict a whole new line of cell phone accessories coming to market!

No comments: