Thursday, January 14, 2010

If a Tree Falls in the Forest...

I was on a flight recently (shocker, I know) and as I tucked my Kindle away in its bright orange neoprene sleeve while we prepared to land, the guy sitting next to me asked, “So, how do you like your Kindle?” (Another side benefit of the device – it’s an instant conversation starter.) Normally, I immediately say “I love it!” without hesitation, but for some reason, I turned to this poor, unsuspecting soul and said “Here’s the thing about the Kindle: it creates a sort of existential crisis for me every time I finish a book.”

I’m sure that he immediately wished he could roll back the clock about 35 seconds and seriously reconsider the decision that prompted him to engage me in conversation. Who is this wacky chick who doesn’t even get the basics of a classic “small talk” conversation??

I could have stuck with the pat answer I’ve given numerous times before (and it would be no less true – I really DO love it), but unlucky for this guy, I’d actually been giving this a little bit of thought lately.

As I’ve previously noted, I love books. LOVE books. And while I love books because of what’s in them (natch), I also really love the books themselves. I like the look of a full bookshelf and I get a warm feeling of satisfaction when I add a recently completed volume to that collection. It’s information, it’s entertainment, it’s décor, and it’s a little peak into the reader’s mind and soul. Talk about conversation starters.

So, I admit that in spite of (re)kindling my love for the printed word in yet another format, I’m still a sucker for the traditional page-turning variety. (As an aside, will particularly engaging books now be described as “it’s a real thumb-clicker”? Yikes.)

I’ve noticed that when I finish a book on the Kindle, I have a moment of uncertainty that I’d even read the book at all. That perhaps I’d just quickly skimmed a random, disposable magazine article or that I had a dream that is now only coming back to me in fuzzy, disconnected bits and pieces… It’s a bit disconcerting to say the least. What I’ve taken for granted in the past is that I do create a set of associations of sorts with the book itself. I see the cover, and it immediately evokes memories of not only the content within, but also of the circumstances under which I consumed that particular book. Now, when I’ve completed something on the Kindle, I get the distinct sense that it’s not really real. That I didn’t really just read it. That the book doesn’t even really exist because it’s not on my shelf with everything else I’ve recently read.

Hence, my existential struggle with my new found love… If a book is finished on a Kindle, but no one is around to see it, does it make an impression?

3 comments:

Matt Bryan said...

I like it. It gives me pangs to think about it too. I haven't taken the plunge yet though I've thought about it a lot recently. One thing i haven't figured out is how to still swap books with my dad (he's 74) if i switch to a kindle. I'd get him one too, but i'm not sure he'd make the transition...

Shari said...

I know!! I love the notion of being able give someone information, entertainment, joy, perspective, etc simply by passing along a (physical) book. I think that ultimately, it's like all other forms of content -- there's a time and place for various platforms... and many of us end up making room for multiple platforms in our lives. (But when it comes right down to it, I'm still a sentimental romantic who will inevitably cling to many "old school" ways.) :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Shari,
I also have a Kindle and I as you do feel a little strange when I read the last page of a book. It is enjoyable but at the same time I miss the turning pages manually. Your blog is great and I know I will enjoy following it. You can stop by mine anytime at
http://odielangley.blogspot.com have a wonderful weekend
Odie