Friday, January 1, 2010

Words to Live By for a New Decade


2009 was a good year. A great year, actually. I married the man of my dreams, made new friends and deepened existing relationships, explored and enjoyed yet another new home (this time in Northern California), and had a major impact on the development and success of a still young internet company. But in spite of all this, I still let many things slide, especially during the second half of the year (as you can tell from the fact that my last blog post was from way back in August). By the time fall rolled around, I’d lost much of the balance in my life, not doing much more than working, eating (too much) and sleeping (not enough).

I've never been one to make New Year's resolutions per se because I've always believed that you can make a positive change in your life at any time, on any day of the year. But since 2009 ended on a rather unbalanced note for me and since an entirely new decade has just kicked off, I figured it couldn't hurt to remind myself of a few key philosophies that are good words to live by. Maybe you'll find something helpful in here, too:

  • Be here now.
  • Let go and move on.
  • If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
  • Do what you love, love what you do.
  • Life is too short to see bad movies. (Full disclosure: I adopted this one from Special K.)
  • We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. (Credit for this one goes to Sir Winston Churchill.)
  • It's never too late to be the person you might have been. (George Eliot)
  • To thine own self be true. (Thank you, Polonius.)
And finally, one key question to keep in mind:

  • What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
Happy 2010! Here's to a year (and an entire decade) of happiness, health, adventure, surprises, love and laughter.

5 comments:

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

I'm inspired to make more time for my blog now too! Thanks Shari!

Cathy K said...

Now THAT is eloquent.
Merry New Year babe.

Shari said...

Thanks, guys! Yep, the goal for 2010 is BALANCE, that's for sure! :)

Unknown said...

I'm going to say it...I feel inspired by your blog!! Really. I do. I am actually getting a Wii fit myself to accompany the new "you gotta have them" EasyTone Reebok's I just bought. My cheerleader is none other than Miss K. :)

Shari said...

Thanks, LLW! :-) I am digging the Wii Fit -- I think I may have to move it to NoCal. And do tell what you think about the Reeboks -- I've definitely been checking them out!