Thursday, January 7, 2010

Wii Are Fit! (Well, Wii Hope To Be Soon!)


I would love to love to work out. Really, I would. It’s not that I don’t like it, but I just don’t love it. I kind of get bored at the gym, I don’t really like to run (I have bad knees and a worse attitude), and in the past couple of years, I haven’t been stationary long enough to commit to taking any sort of regular class. (Side note: The last class I did take was kickboxing and I highly recommend it, both for the exercise and the exorcise after a particularly bad day!)

Special K is super athletic, having played pretty much every sport in the book and he is endlessly patient with me as we drag our big white pail of tennis balls to the court and I exclaim “home run!” as I belt yet another ball clear over the fence and into the street.

In an extremely inspired move (and probably somewhat motivated by the ballooning tennis ball budget), Special K slid a Wii console and Wii Fit under our Christmas tree this year and I am pretty excited about the possibilities! This seems an appropriate way to tackle fitness challenges in the 21st century!

I have wanted to do yoga for a while now both for the physical AND mental health (sensing a theme here?) benefits, but I am about as flexible as 2x4 and I was never quite sure where to start. The Wii has solved my dilemma, providing me with a very nice and supportive virtual trainer who walks me through the poses and with the help of the Wii balance board, I am gaining a pretty decent sense about the right way to execute said poses.

As supportive as the Wii aims to be, it still has the somewhat eerily human quality of not being able to resist a jab every now and then. When I missed one day of “working out”, the Wii snidely remarked “couldn’t find time to work out yesterday, huh?” As I’m settling my feet on the board, looking for the right position, the Wii sighs (I swear it does!!) and says “Are you fidgeting?”

So far, with my limited experience, I’m pretty impressed. I definitely felt the results of my “work out” in my muscles the next day and I feel like I’m already improving my balance and posture. Although, I’ve been back in NoCal all week and I can only imagine what the Wii will have to say to me when I finally return to it.

But I have set myself a mini-goal to track against (the Wii measures your weight and BMI as well), so wish Mii luck!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I do wish you luck Shari. I have been trying to do better since January but have lacked on exercise. Must do better and then I will loose the next 10 pounds I want to drop and will feel so much better about myself.