Thursday, September 13, 2007

Geography 101

This is the conversation between me and the towncar driver as he's approaching the Newark airport terminal, preparing to drop me off nearly two weeks ago:

Driver: "Where are you flying today?"

Shari: "I'm on Continental to Albuquerque."

Driver: "Great, I'll drop you off at the international terminal then."

Pause.

Shari: "Um... why? I'm just going to Albuquerque."

Driver: (with sheepish laugh) "Where's that?"

Shari: (looking for the hidden cameras) "New Mexico. NEW Mexico. You know, between Texas and Arizona."

Clearly my driver had NOT seen the relevant Bugs Bunny cartoon.

2 comments:

Cathy K said...

But he must be one of the 1 in 5 Americans lacking map knowledge they asked Miss Teen USA South Carolina about.

Nick said...

This story does not surprise me. Doesn't the song from Rent go "Do you know the way to Santa Fe?" Maybe it should have been Albuquerque.