Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Travel Log

You may have noticed that I'm not blogging quite as frequently as I have been... I'm easing my way into a new role at work which means that my travel has just jumped significantly. It looks like I could easily be on the road 50% of the time (mostly traveling back to California) which is proving to make it a bit of a challenge to siphon off a bit of time here and there for an occasional random blog post.

But I do have to tell you about a few things that happened on my last trip out west (I flew last Friday night):

-- First thing in the morning, Oda comes by and tells me that her sister (who was also flying to SoCal from JFK that morning) has just called to tell her that a "suspicious individual" was yanked off her flight, causing all sorts of dominoes to fall and culminating in the FBI combing the plane.

-- I actually make it to JFK on time for my flight! (Whoo hoo!!)

-- I am sitting at my gate, thumbs tapping away at my blackberry when I happen to glance up at the people sitting across from me. The girl is reading the new issue of Cosmo and lo and behold if she doesn't have the magazine open to the very page where my Dove ad is! So cool.

-- Once seated on the plane, I notice the lady seated across the aisle from me.... she is clutching a prayer on a small laminated piece of paper.... she is repeatedly crossing herself with one hand while muttering the prayer and fingering her rosary beads in the other hand. Put in a good word for me, please.

-- Directly behind me is an elderly ex-Navy white man and next to him is a young Chinese immigrant. The American is super friendly and SUPER curious about where the young Asian man is exactly from etc:
"Where in China are you from?"
"South China"
"I use tiger balm!"
Wha???

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i grew up using tiger balm. it was a cure all for everything, but it had a very potent smell.

Cathy K said...

Hey, Jim and I were in the grocery checkout flipping through the Marie Claire and there you were! So of course we told everyone in line we knew you--they were all impressed (with us and you!)

maiabee said...

Tiger Balm reminds me of my Granny- hehe- We miss you Shari! come back soon! :)))

Shari said...

Oda -- I've used tiger balm in the past, too -- definitely effective, but definitely smelly.

Maia -- I'll be back on Weds! :)

Cath -- SO weird. I still feel like I'm looking at a photo of someone who just happens to look a lot like me.