Saturday, January 5, 2008

Just a Little Bit Country


After a short detour to Winter Park, Florida for a wedding on December 22, Special K and I headed up to Calgary to celebrate Christmas with the folks (and the Schnauzers!). This was only Special K’s second time to “Cowtown” and once again, he gained a bit more of a glimpse into the wide world of Shari… this may have been a window that should have remained a little bit more tightly closed.

Growing up, we always had a radio on in the kitchen and during my most formative years, it was always tuned to the station CFAC (can you believe I actually remember the call letters?) which broadcast classic country tunes from the likes of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams (both Sr. and Jr.), Boxcar Willie, Charley Pride, Patsy Cline and Tammy Wynette. It also tended to be the same station that both my parents’ vehicles’ radios were tuned to, so to say that I was bombarded with country would be an understatement.

Classic country still holds a special place in my heart even though my music tastes have expanded considerably since I was 8 years old (again, primarily dominated at that time by artists such as the ones listed above, the MiniPops and the Chipmunks). However, I never really did transfer my appreciation for classic country to its more contemporary cousin. In my pre-teen and teen years, I started listening to Top 40, pop, and rock and sort of eschewed the new neo-traditionalist country artists and tunes. (Save for the blip in college when I took two-step lessons and used to frequent the Ranchman’s country & western nightclub on a regular basis.)

On this trip back to the homeland, we discovered a pretty good country station on the radio of my mom’s minivan. I think Special K was more than a little amused to learn that I still knew many of the lyrics and could sing along to classics like Tom T. Hall’s “I Love (little baby ducks)”, Johnny Horton’s “Honky Tonk Man” (“hey, hey mama, can your daddy come home?”) and David Frizzell’s “I’m Going To Hire a Wino to Decorate Our Home”. (The lyrics on that one kind of speak for themselves.)

The main lesson learned? You can take the girl out of the country, but you can’t take the country out of the girl!

2 comments:

Schmoo and Beans Mom said...

Amazing you can remember those call letters. The funnier part is your memory of the Chipmunks and Minipops....Video Killed the Radio Star will remain ingrained in my head forever thanks to the Minipops.

Kiersten

Shari said...

Same thing for me on "Radio Star"... forever imprinted on my brain, but in little kid voices... same with "Turning Japanese". :)