Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Making Special K Proud


To say that Special K is a Pittsburgh Steelers fan is an understatement of the same magnitude as saying that Britney has “issues”. Seriously, Special K is not just a fan; he is, in effect, the president of a phenomenon known as Steeler Nation.

As a Canadian, I never developed an affinity with any NFL team (CFL all the way, baby!), but Special K and his brethren welcomed me with open arms and have essentially adopted me into the Nation. (But I’m only on a visa for now – you have to earn permanent residency.)

Steeler Nation visa in hand, I was even invited to Football Sundays at Pittsburgh Bobby’s house – a veritable shrine to all things Steeler. The walls of the TV room are yellow with black trim. The carpet is dark green, channeling Astroturf within an adorable little bungalow in North Hollywood. And practically every square inch of wall space is covered with myriad memorabilia, mostly of the Steelers, but also of the Pirates. (The first time I made the pilgrimage to Bobby’s house on a Sunday, I don’t think I even watched the game – I spent three hours soaking up all the details on the walls!)

And I knew I had made it to the inner circle and at least received an extension to my visa when a Ben Roethlisberger jersey mysteriously showed up at my apartment in NYC last year!

So, today, I was getting ready to board a plane (surprise, surprise) from San Diego to San Jose. As I approached the gate agent with my boarding pass in hand, I noticed that he was wearing a “Super Bowl XL” sweatshirt over his American Airlines uniform. Some of you will remember that Super Bowl XL was in Detroit in 2005 and the Steelers emerged victorious from a battle against the Seattle Seahawks.

As I handed the agent my boarding pass, I nodded at his sweatshirt and asked “Did you go to that Super Bowl?” A moment of confusion flitted across his face (I mean, c’mon, I don’t exactly look like a football fan) and he politely, if not a little dismissively, gave a half-smile and said “Yep, sure did”. I smiled back and said “Are you a Steelers fan?”, at which point his entire countenance positively transformed as his eyes brightened and his mouth widened into a broad smile.

“Oh YEAH I am!” came the enthusiastic reply.

I said “How about Randle El’s touchdown pass??” and reached up to high-five him as he swiped my boarding pass.

“Oh yeah! Raise it up! Raise it up! Steel Curtain, baby! Steel Curtain!” he called after me as I disappeared into the mouth of the jetway to board my flight.

I think this little exchange most certainly qualifies me for my Steeler greencard, if not my full citizenship.

No comments: