Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Welcome to Jamaica, Mon!


To celebrate its 10th anniversary, Special K's company treated its entire staff to 6 days in Jamaica. I was able to escape the concrete jungle and join him in the Caribbean paradise for about 72 hours -- definitely not enough time, but certainly better than not being able to go at all.

Even though my visit was fleeting, I had a great time and as always, I reveled in the little glimpses of the local culture that I was privy to.

My new favourite condiment is a little gem called "Pickapeppa Sauce" -- a tasty medley of mango, raisins, tomatoes, onions and tamarind which was particularly satisfying when combined with a traditional Jamaican pattie (a corn pastry stuffed with various vegetable and meat fillings -- think of it as the Jamaican equivalent of an Indian samosa.)

On the drive back to the airport, I spied a tiny little ramshackle grocery store called the "English Dis & Dat". And just down the road was a shack-like watering hole labeled "Girly's Hot Spot". I'm definitely visiting both of those on my next trip.

We stayed at an all-inclusive resort, which meant we kept running into and seeing the same people over and over again. Pretty soon, Special K and I had developed a series of nicknames to refer to people whose names we didn't know, but whom we'd either spoken to at a random meal or whom we'd witnessed say or do something funny, silly or stupid. Pretty soon we were nudging each other, saying, "Hey, there goes Sissy Shoes" or "Did you see just see The Cackler trip and fall in the pool?"

I don't even want to know what nicknames others may have given us.

No comments: