Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Oh, the Weather Outside is Frightful

It's slushing in NYC right now. I don't know how else to explain it. It's not exactly snowing and it's not exactly raining. It's more of a shower of slushy, icy cold wet gobs falling from the sky. It's kind of how I think you'd feel if someone blew a 7-Eleven slurpee at you through a straw. It's pretty disgusting really.

I just got home from a fun business dinner (in a toasty warm Italian place) and I must take a moment to bow to the taxi gods because as luck would have it, I was able to hail a cab right outside the restaurant. But even still, by the time I got home, the freshly dry cleaned pants I put on this morning were soaking wet on the cuffs and part way up the legs and even worse, I have those tell-tale salt stains appearing at the bottom of each pant leg, making me cringe when I think how hard this city is on EVERYTHING, even your clothes.

I also want to remind you that almost EXACTLY one year ago today (it was Valentine's Day 2007 to be exact), New York was pummeled by a wicked ice storm that shut down all major means of public transportation and left me stranded in Gotham for the President's Day long weekend when I SHOULD have been cuddled up with Special K in sunny California.

So, along with the taxi gods, I am also vehemently appealing to the weather gods for their kindness since I am meant to be on a flight on Thursday, heading back to CA for the long weekend. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment. But I'm pretty sure it won't be slushing in Orange County. (I'll stay away from 7-Eleven's.)

No comments: