Friday, October 10, 2008

And I Thought New York was a Small World!

Turns out that Chicago is even moreso... at least for me. Within my first seven hours in the city yesterday, I ran into three people I know, all completely random and unplanned.

First of all, in my hotel, I bumped into one of our Publishers and one of our Associate Publishers (two separate "bumps"... they weren't even traveling together), both in town from New York, with nothing to do with my own reasons for being in Chicago.

Then, the most random "bump" was at a fun wine & cheese bar/restaurant last night that's actually managed by a friend of a friend of mine. Special K (who is running the marathon on Sunday, hence the main reason for the Chicago trip) and I had just been seated at our table and were still perusing the menu when I happened to glance up just in time to see a guy walk in to the bar area who looked an awful like someone who used to work at my old internet start-up way back in the day.

My brain processed "Gee, that guy looks like Eric... nah, can't be Eric.... How long has it been?.... do I really want the wine I just ordered?.... But Eric DID move to Chicago a few years ago for a new job.... that cheese plate looks good.... It MUST be Eric.... I better go say hi and find out for sure..." in about 1.5 seconds and I left Special K chuckling at the table (apparently, I had verbalized a little bit more of that train of thought than I realized) while I went to say hi.

Indeed it was Eric, he was shocked to see me and we have now made plans to get together for dinner with him and his girlfriend tonight after work!

It's a small world and gettin' smaller!

No comments: