Monday, October 20, 2008

The Case of the Missing Sevens

When you live a bi-coastal lifestyle, there are bound to be casualties ... you are certain to misplace things and leave things behind either in hotel rooms, in your apartment on the other coast, or at your boyfriend's place in yet another location.

When I first moved to New York over two years ago, I left a few things behind at Special K's house. There were a few boxes in the garage that I knew I couldn't take to my shoebox-sized apartment in Gotham and since I was moving in the fall, I also left a decent amount of warm weather/summer clothes behind. One of the clothing items I left in California was a pair of cropped Seven for All Mankind jeans.

On a return trip to California not long after I moved, I remember looking for the cropped jeans because I wanted to wear them, but couldn't find them anywhere. Special K and I looked high and low but didn't find the jeans. We checked every closet, cupboard and dresser drawer -- nothing.

Finally, he scratched his head and said "You must have taken them to New York with you". Since I'm a girl and have a photographic memory of exactly what I was wearing on ANY and ALL important dates/moments with Special K, I was acutely certain that I had indeed been wearing the cropped jeans on my last day in SoCal, precisely because I knew I wouldn't need them in NYC for months because winter was on its way.

I couldn't fathom what could have happened to these jeans! And I was NOT happy about the fact that it had to have been a $150 pair of jeans that were the ones to go missing. (Don't tell my mom about the $150 -- she raised me to be a smart, frugal consumer!) In any event, over time, I gradually accpeted the fact that the jeans were gone and hoped that one day, we'd discover them in some random place, smack ourselves on our foreheads and exclaim "Of COURSE that's where they are! Why didn't we think of this sooner??" It actually got to the point where any time I'd misplace something, Special K would casually remark "You can't find it? It must be with your jeans."

So, fast-forward almost two years exactly and I have now completed my NY tour of duty and am freshly settled in NoCal.

In the meantime, a friend and business colleague of Special K's had relocated to SoCal (at about the same time I went east) and while he was getting settled in his new job and looking for an apartment, he crashed with Special K for a couple of months. In that time, he managed to meet a woman who we would all later learn was not completely "there" and was just a teeny bit crazy in a very "Fatal Attraction" sort of way.

Long story short, it appears as though this woman, ahem, "borrowed" my jeans for the last two years and they just finally made their way back to Special K's house this past weekend when his buddy realized the situation.

I am headed to the OC this Friday night for a long anticipated reunion with my Sevens... AFTER they've been vigorously laundered and re-laundered.

Who steals someone else's jeans?? I guess I should just be thankful that she didn't hawk them on eBay for the cash.

3 comments:

cmiller said...

Wow! It's amazing what some people don't think twice about doing. Who would ever "borrow" someone elses pants??? That's just strange. She probably also steals french fries off of someone elses plate as well. Glad that the sevens are on their way home.

Cathy K said...

I can't believe there is another women out there as petite as you are!

She didn't alter the jeans did she?

Shari said...

Yep, pretty unreal. But at least now the mystery is solved and I know I wasn't losing my mind!

(And Cath, you are sweet, but I am not that tiny!) :-)