Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Sunday!

As you all know, I've been fully adopted into the phenomenon that is Steeler Nation and as such, I am now a huge Pittsburgh Steelers fan of my own accord. (It's kind of amusing to think that if Special K decided to break up with me, I would still follow those darn Men of Steel on my own... and LIKE it.)

Special K and I watched the AFC Championship together in a couple of sports bars near my place in NoCal and as Super Sunday drew nearer, Special K was able to wrangle his way to Tampa and managed to secure a couple of tickets to the Big Game for himself and good buddy (and fellow Pittsburgh native), PJ.

Meanwhile, I was in NYC that weekend and had gathered with a bunch of friends at Mercury Bar on 9th Avenue to watch the game (and yes, I was wearing my Steelers t-shirt!) For those of you who watched the game, you'll know that the fourth quarter was absolutely exhausting with the Cardinals coming from behind to score a touchdown with only a couple of minutes left on the clock.

In the last 35 seconds, Steelers QB, Big Ben, threw a pass into the end zone to Santonio Holmes -- he caught it, but it was unclear in the moment whether he was actually in bounds or not.

My biggest personal contribution to Super Bowl XLIII was being able to send Special K a text message at that point in the game, while the play was under review and the stadium did not have the benefit of television's gift of instant replay, and jubilantly tell Speciak K that "He's totally in! Both feet!!"

Special K was then able to share that with his entire section before the official ruling on the field was announced.

Gotta love technology! And ring #6 for the Steelers!

No comments: