Sunday, February 22, 2009

There's Something About Mary

I was determined, while in New York this last time, to see a show on Broadway since I would be there over a weekend and presumably have time to squeeze that in. One of the things I miss most about New York is the regular and frequent access to all sorts of culture, whether it's live music, Broadway, off-Broadway or even WAY off-Broadway.

While living in the Big Apple, I was a regular patron of the TKTS kiosk in Times Square and could often pick up a ticket to a great show for 50% off. And what's more, I could often even get a seat in an excellent location at the last minute because there would sometimes be single tickets left in prime orchestra section rows while finding two or three tickets together was much more difficult and could quickly put you in the upper balconies near the back.

On my Sunday in the city, I wandered up to the TKTS booth and was a bit surprised to see a more limited selection of available shows. I needed to go to an early show because I was meant to be at Mercury Bar between 4:00 and 4:30 for Super Bowl. There was a showing at 2:00 for "Pal Joey", but the only ticket left in the place was in the very last row of the top mezzanine.

I looked back at the ticker of available shows and saw that there was only one show at 1:00... which would be plenty of time to make it to the gathering for The Big Game. The only problem was that I wasn't sure I even really wanted to SEE the show that was at 1:00 .... I looked at the TKTS agent and asked "What do you have left for that 1:00 show?" She replied "I have a single in the 8th row center orchestra."

I took a deep breath and said, "Well, then.... one for Mary Poppins, please", and I parted with my $40.00.

As I made my way over to the New Amsterdam theatre on 42nd Street, I hoped that I hadn't made a mistake. I found my seat, and as you would expect, I was surrounded by kids under ten, many clutching stuffed animals and blankies along with their Playbills.

As it turned out, I needn't have worried. From the moment the curtain went up, the stage production of Mary Poppins was fabulous from every possible perspective. The cast was excellent, the sets were beautiful, Mary's little moments of "magic" were portrayed brilliantly for a live audience and the whole show was capped off by Mary disappearing out over the audience, drifting away with her signature umbrella in hand.

It was.... hmmm... what's that word....

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

Ah yes, that's the very word.

No comments: