Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Close Quarters

New York is really about the facade of having your own space, when really, you could be only 15 or 20 feet away from a perfect stranger while you're curled up in the folds of the duvet on your own cozy bed. We live in close quarters here. Here's a sampling of what I'm treated to on a regular basis:

-- overhearing my neighbours' phone conversations (and in-person conversations) from not only the common hallway, but also from MY own front hallway INSIDE my apartment.

-- Can sometimes hear phones ring and alarm clocks sound.

-- Can DEFINITELY hear their music and TV's.... especially from the apartment occupied by the trust fund party girl across the hall.

-- Actually heard a neighbour blow his nose this morning. Ugh. I was just about to leave for work, so I was in my own front hallway, but still very much INSIDE my OWN apartment. That's just annoying.

-- But the cruelest thing yet was two nights ago when the smell of freshly popped popcorn wafted seductively beneath my door, and for a split second, I thought "I really should go meet more of my neighbours!" But of course, I just went to bed, tummy growling discontentedly.

No comments: