Thursday, May 31, 2007

Bad air out there

Guess what I saw on weather.com tonight when I plunked in my zip code to find out what was going on with the thunderstorm that is allegedly on its way?

"Air Stagnation Advisory".

I've never seen that before. And it seems quite counterintuitive to me because I feel like I nearly got blown away on my walk home, it was so windy. How can it be SO windy and the air still be stagnant?

The warning was quite official sounding with all sorts of details about how you should avoid any sort of strenuous activity outside tonight, be careful if you have asthma, consult your physician if you have breathing issues... there's even a 1-800 hotline so NY residents can keep up to date on the air quality sitch.

What they really need is a 1-800 hotline to complain about the stench of garbage on days like today when it's 85 degrees. Ick.

2 comments:

Cathy K said...

Hmmm, garbage stench... well we mucked out the barn and I think it probably is about the same level of icky smell (it's 32 degrees C here today-Sunday June 3, it's to make up for the snow on May 24th).

Shari said...

Ok, yeah, barn stench is at least as bad and probably worse... raining here today now, so hopefully that freshens things up a bit!