Monday, May 21, 2007

I'm Ready For My Close-Up, Mr. DeMille


So, I’m going to be in a magazine ad! (I couldn’t think of any clever way to lead into this one, so you’re just gettin’ the news straight up!)

I was asked to be the “real girl” in an advertorial for hair products that will show the difference between “fantasy hair” (i.e. professional model looking stunning after hours of prep work, hair extensions, and a whole team of high-priced stylists) and “real hair” (i.e. little ol’ moi, looking fresh-faced and confident ostensibly after only washing my hair with the advertiser’s product).

We shot the ad this morning in one of the photo studios in our building. I showed up at 9:00 sharp as the call sheet indicated, and was sent off to the showers in our building’s gym to wash and condition my hair with the advertisers’ products. (Picture me slinking around elevators and hallways with a towel wrapped around my wet hair, turban-style, praying that I don’t run into anyone I know!)

Next, the hairstylist chopped a couple of inches off my locks because they were afraid my hair would be too long for the shot in the magazine layout. Once blow-dried and curled, I shuffled over to the next table for makeup (by a well-known New York makeup artist), and then finally tried on a few different shirts and sweaters so the team could decide what “look” was most appropriate.

After settling on two outfits, we began the actual shoot. The photographer was fantastic – she joked with me, talked to me (in French even!) and made the whole process a complete blast. And not to disappoint me and my vision about what fashion shoots are like, there was even a fan blowing on me, keeping my “real” hair flowing and moving. Before I knew it, we had tons of shots (and even a bunch that everyone seemed to really like!) and we broke for lunch. After lunch, I got to see what some of the best shots actually looked like in a draft of the magazine ad layout.

I’ll keep you posted, but the REAL layout will show up in Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire and Harper’s Bazaar this fall!

P.S. (I got to keep the cute t-shirt and sweater from JCrew that I wore in the shoot!)

4 comments:

cmiller said...

How fun! You'll have to send me a copy so I can see it :-) Funnily enough, I know someone here who works for the ad company who does the Dove campaign work for Europe. Sounds like a fun adventure and glad you were able to experience this!

Cathy K said...

Yet again, I say, "okay, who's hokey now?!"

You know,when I try to describe you to people I tell them you look like Halle Berry with a little Janet Jackson thrown in, only prettier and much, much, much smarter (although I suppose there is a slim chance I'm wrong on the IQ thingy).

I can't wait to see the finished pictures.

Shari said...

alright, CK, you must have been hitting the chardonnay again... :-)

Cathy K said...

Are you insane?? Look in the mirror...sheesh