Thursday, May 3, 2007

Color Me Purple


Every day I walk to work and see the Broadway Theatre kitty corner from my office where The Color Purple is currently playing and every day I think “I should really go see that after work one day.” Well, as fate would have it, today was my lucky, lucky day.

Just before 6:00, Heidi IM’d me with “I know this is short notice, but…” and voila! Less than two hours later, I was sitting with Heidi and Chris in the fourth row (!) of The Color Purple. The headliner right now is Fantasia (yes, of American Idol fame) and she was fantastic (fantasia-tic?). She was the perfect Celie with an incredible voice, heartfelt emotion and even impressive comedic timing.

Favourite scene? That’s a tough one, but I’d have to go with Sofia’s song about being pushed around, taken for granted and treated badly… Does she let these things happen to her?? Hell, no. he - ELL, no!!

I didn’t cry (ok, maybe just a little bit), but the guy sitting to my right just let it go – I felt compelled to offer him a tissue when I saw him wipe his eyes with his shirt sleeve. For the tenth time.

I can only imagine the incredible rush of emotion from actually being on stage, particularly in such a powerful production. This entire cast put their hearts and souls into this show, to the point where even Fantasia looked completely overwhelmed and on the brink of a torrent of happy tears during the curtain call. (Which just about made me and my neighbour dive into the tissues all over again.)

So, bottom line, did I love it? Hell, YEAH!

No comments: