Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Is My Map Upside Down??

I already know what my biggest challenge with Northern California is going to be -- it's not going to be trying to resist the call of wine country, or even the minimization of driving time/distance because of $4.50 per gallon gas...

No, it's much more pedestrian than that. I have the lofty goal of simply not getting lost.

I generally have a pretty good sense of direction and I don't really get lost all that easily, but NoCal is proving to be an entirely different story. My intuition and inner compass seem to be exactly 180 degrees off. I will swear that with every fiber of my body, I'll feel like I'm driving south, but I'll actually be heading north. I would bet my bank account that San Francisco is up ahead of me when it's actually disappearing further and further into my rear view mirror.

I don't know what it is. This is the first place I've been where I am constantly getting turned around, turning the wrong way, or getting on the freeway going the wrong direction. It's quite annoying. I did get a GPS for a couple of my trips (especially when I was looking for a place to live), but then this week, I got all cocky thinking "I know where I'm going now!" and then I promptly got lost again.

If they make a human equivalent of a dog collar that says "If found, please return to...", I better get myself one right away. Or I'm bound to wander the tree-lined streets of Mountain View for weeks.

No comments: