Saturday, July 12, 2008

This Relationship is Over... Sort Of

I think we’ve both seen this coming for a while now. We’re just going through the motions and we both know it’s not working. We hardly even make time to see each other anymore. It’s kind of tragic actually because neither of us has done anything wrong – it’s just that now we’re on different paths…

You should know that I still love you with all my heart and I’ll always cherish all the special memories and all the time we’ve spent together. You’re one in a million, that’s for sure. For once in my life, I’m actually confident that after this parting of ways, we’ll be able to stay friends and see one another occasionally without it being awkward and uncomfortable. In fact, I suspect that whenever I do see you, we’ll effortlessly slip right back into that easiness we’ve always shared… you know, the feeling that existed between us from the time we first met years ago, even before we were officially “together”.

I would never ask you to change because it’s the way you are that makes you so incredible in so many ways. I will miss your unpredictability, your love of life and your diverse and ever-expanding interests. I loved the fact that we could be perfectly happy wandering peacefully through a museum one day and then enjoy a rowdy night out with friends the next night. I loved that you could always delight me in some unexpected way and often, I didn’t even see it coming. Some of my favourite moments were when I could just be alone with you and feel like I had you all to myself, even though your popularity kept you in very high demand, both professionally and socially.

I’ll always love you, but I just can’t BE with you any longer.

New York, I heart you and I’ll miss you.

3 comments:

Chet said...

Next time someone breaks up with me, I'll make sure to guide them to this post.

Shari said...

Guess what, this time, I'm sort of moving into your old 'hood!

Chet said...

That's great. The old hood will look forward to having you. I'll be up there Labor Day Weekend.