Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cruel and Unusual

I'm trying to get re-acquainted with and re-committed to a regular gym schedule. It's not really a New Year's resolution as much as it is a constantly present goal that tends to easily get sidelined by work, travel and spontaneous social plans. But I continue to doggedly pursue the goal and so this weekend, I managed to make it to the gym both yesterday morning and this morning.

The gym is on the second level of my property's clubhouse and its french doors open onto a balcony area that overlooks the common area of the clubhouse where there is a grand piano, huge cozy couches, a games room and a small kitchen.

In that kitchen, the property management team bakes a variety of cookies every day and this morning, just as I was finishing my workout (and feeling pretty good about the calories I just burned), the smell of freshly baked cookies wafted up from below, into the gym and wound its way around me, enveloping me in warmth and the promise of something that would make me smile, close my eyes and go "mmmmm" with the first bite. (I am a huge sucker for freshly baked cookies, as my mom can well attest.)

It was all I could do to hastily scoop up my water bottle, sweatshirt and keys and beat a path out of there as fast as I could, plugging my nose, repeating "I can't smell you!" in my head and focusing on the egg white scramble I would be making myself for breakfast. Not quite the same as a fresh chocolate chip cookie.

2 comments:

Cathy K said...

Cruel is right! Of course, perhaps it's some warped marketing scheme... keep you on the calories so you have to keep coming to the gym?

Shari said...

Seriously! I felt like I got all the calories back just by breathing in the cookie smell!