Monday, January 5, 2009

Great Minds Think Alike

Christmas morning.

We are all gathered in the living room, opening gifts.

My Dad brings a present over to me and I fleetingly think that the size, shape and weight is familiar. Special K is sitting next to me and as I begin to pull the wrapping paper off, we catch each other's eye and start to laugh. From across the room, my Mom looks at me suspiciously and asks, "Oh no, do you have one of those already?" as I pull the Kodak digital photo frame from its wrapping. I smile and say no and assure her that I love it -- it's a perfect gift.

A couple of minutes later, I get up, and pull another gift out from under the tree and hand it to my mom, saying "You and Dad should open this one now." She looks at me quizically and then begins to unwrap the box. A look of recognition and understanding hits both their faces simultaneously and they laugh heartily as they pull another Kodak digital frame out from its wrapping paper -- the gift I brought with me to give to them.

A couple of minutes later, my Dad hands my mom a present (to her, from him) and with a bit of a smirk, suggests that she unwrap it. Any guesses? That's right, the third Kodak digital photo frame of the day has now made its appearance. By now, we are all laughing and cracking jokes about buying stock in Kodak. And just so that we'll all have at least one photo to upload to our shiny new digital frames, Special K took a photo of the gene pool that completely indepedently came up with the same idea for a gift .... three times.

In Canada, we refer to this as a "hat trick".

2 comments:

Cathy K said...

Hahaha! I bought one for my niece for Christmas too.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time back home (and even with snow).

Shari said...

Couldn't BE-lieve it when the second one was opened... and then when the THIRD one was opened... pure bedlam! what a gene pool!