Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year!

Can you even believe that it is 2009 already? It feels like the second half of the year just rushed by like a freight train. I guess moving across the country and transitioning into a new job will do that to you.

Special K and I made our way to Calgary for Christmas, bracing ourselves for the -20 degree weather that the prairies had been "blessed" with the middle of December. Luckily, by the time we arrived, the temps were only around 10 degrees F and that didn't feel nearly as cold as what we had prepared ourselves for. It was definitely a white Christmas with many feet of snow in open spaces and many more feet piled up where it had drifted in beside buildings and leafless hedges.

I was in Calgary less than an hour when I skidded on the edge of our driveway (carry-on bag slung over one shoulder and a suitcase in the other hand) and landed squarely in a fresh snow bank. (Just moments after Special K had said "Why don't you let me get your suitcase for you?" and I had waved him off thinking "I travel all the time by myself, I'm fine." Ah, ice and snow, the great equalizer.) I was now dusted in a healthy coating of the white stuff and as we made our way into the house, there was my mom, camera in hand and POOF, the bright flash captured me in all my snow-clad glory.

But after that initial misstep, the rest of the trip was great fun. We spent quality time with my parents, saw lots of old friends (high school and university buddies of mine), shopped on Boxing Day (of course!), cuddled with 5-day old Schnauzer puppies, watched a few movies, and saw some spectacular sunrises. We were even treated to a fresh snowfall a couple of days after Christmas. And we ate. Non-stop. For five days.

It was one of those trips where you don't even know what day it is and frankly, you don't even care. A perfect way to wind down an insanely busy 2008. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for everything! xoxo

No comments: