Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Goodbye My Lover, Goodbye My Friend

As I sit here, surrounded by boxes, less than 48 hours before the movers come, I'm reflecting on the last couple of years and feeling so content in knowing that not only did I actually have a great opportunity to live and work in New York, but that I also made the most of it -- exploring the city, learning this "new" culture, and building wonderful friendships. But as the last few things lie scattered around my apartment, waiting to be tucked away for the voyage westward, I know that it's time for the next chapter. After all, it's written right in the lyrics of Baz Luhrmann's "Sunscreen":

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.
Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. *

So, off I go to Northern California!

It's kind of like an athlete retiring at the top of his/her game -- leave while you still love it, aren't jaded and have sweet memories. (Um, Brett Favre? What the heck??)

Also, they are building another huge apartment complex behind my building and within a few months, it will be tall enough to completely block my currently unfettered view of the Hudson River. And a rather noisy Beagle moved in down the hall a couple of months ago and yodels at the most inopportune times.

And to top it all off, I just ran out of return address labels. If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.

* PS (I also lived in Los Angeles once and left before it made me superficial. Oh wait, that's not actually in the song.)

No comments: