Sunday, August 3, 2008

Shop Til You Drop

Somehow, I ended up on the VIP invitation list (as did hundreds of others, I suspect -- so I'm not really that special) for Gen Art's Shop NYC event which was held on 18th Street in the Metropolitan Pavilion last Wednesday night. I cajoled Oda into going with me -- ok, we're both shopping fans at heart, so I didn't have to expend very much effort "cajoling" her.

Gen Art is an organization devoted to showcasing emerging talent in the fashion, entertainment, music and arts arenas and produces over 100 shows each year catering to these areas. The Shop NYC event highlighted fashion works from 50 - 60 emerging design talents in everything from apparel to shoes to handbags to jewelry. The venue was packed with women looking for unique items (at a discount) and a few misplaced men who stood to the side looking appropriately bored as wives and girlfriends rifled through racks of tops and dresses and fingered handbags and jewelry on the display tables.

We did a hot lap to see what was there, glasses of Bailey's and crushed ice in hand. Once we had downed our glass of liquid courage, we through ourselves fully into the fray as well and emerged victoriously with a necklace each from Odette New York and tops from Yumi Kim.

By this time, we'd worked up a significant appetite and at Oda's suggestion, we popped in on Markt in Chelsea and enjoyed a late dinner of french onion soup (best I've had in ages) and salad. (Kathy, if you're reading this, I FINALLY made it Markt after almost two years! And you're right, it was fantastic!)

As all true Kaboodlers know, shopping (and dining!) IS more fun with friends!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a great time, thanks for the invite. We'll have to do it again when you're back in NY, or when I'm on the West Coast in a couple of weeks.

Shari said...

Absolutely! Can't wait to see y'all on Monday and we'll definitely find something fun to do when you're out in the Valley.