Monday, April 14, 2008

The Signs of Spring

The weather is still a tiny bit shaky, as if NYC is a nervous bachelor who can't quite commit to the permanence of Spring yet, but even in spite of the fluctuating temperatures, there are still a number of signs that Spring has indeed sprung:

-- The restaurants whose doors and windows remained tightly shuttered against the cold winter are starting to populate their sections of the sidewalks with tables and chairs, waiting for the first brave diners to request outdoor seating. (Down the street from my office, Serafina even leaves fuzzy, cozy blankets folded over the outdoor chairs in order to further entice diners.)

-- The temporary fruit stands are popping up on sidewalks, next to the ubiquitous hotdog and coffee carts. I was so happy the first morning I saw the familiar face of the fruit vendor who sets up shop two blocks away from my office. It's on my walk to work and I almost always stop to get a couple of fresh bananas and maybe one other treat for later in the day.

-- Even though many days are still only about 55 degrees, open-toed shoes and bare legs are starting to appear on a regular basis. Women who have been bundled up in tights, leggings and boots all winter can't wait to bust out of their winter wear and the slightest hint of a sunny day brings out the sandals and the wrap dresses from the back recesses of closets all around the city.

-- March and April are also when the tourists begin to appear in the city in earnest again. This tends to coincide with the rash of spring break weeks happening all across the nation. New York is ALWAYS busy, but in January and February, there is a noticeable decline in foot traffic.

-- One of the happiest indications of spring are the brightly colored tulips that have seemingly appeared overnight in planters on almost every street. I imagine the penchant for tulips has something to do with NYC's New Amsterdam beginnings. I'm sure glad that custom survived -- the trees are not yet green, so the flowers are a more than welcome burst of color in the concrete jungle.

-- And of course, it wouldn't be New York if the warmer temperatures didn't bring with them the familiar stench of garbage that's been sitting outside just a tad bit too long.

Happy Spring!

2 comments:

cmiller said...

Happy spring indeed! Getting the same sort of stuff in London, despite the fact that the weather is still horrible here (did I mention that it snowed a few weeks ago???) I think everyone is just tired of wearing big coats and gloves, but it's still freezing out. Loving the flowers that are popping up everywhere and the fact that bunches of daffodils are so cheap...hard to be gloomy with fresh flowers all around. Sadly, not quite Pimms weather yet...Enjoy!

Shari said...

I will be crossing my fingers for both of us that the snow is finished for the season now! Next time I'm in London, I must make sure I'm there when it's Pimms weather -- dying to try it!