Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hopelessly Devoted... to Mediocrity

So, you all know by now that one of my favourite ways to soak up a couple of hours on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in NYC is to swing by TKTS around 1:30 pm (once the line has abated) and see what sorts of tickets are still available for that day's matinee performances. Since it's been ridiculously hot in the city this weekend (above 95 degrees), I decided to go see a show yesterday, as much for the air conditioning as for the culture.

I ended up with a ticket to see Grease on Broadway and I was actually really looking forward to it because, yes, I grew up in a generation of pre-teen/teen girls who knew all the words to ALL the songs and could practically recite the original movie line by line. (In fact, we used to act out the movie at sleepovers -- Unfortunately, I often ended up as Sonny or Doody. My friends were VERY literal at that age and there could NEVER be a raven-haired Sandy. I mean, COME ON.)

I settled myself into my first row mezzanine seat (if you are flying solo, you can get excellent tickets 20 minutes before curtain) and got ready for 2 hours of "yippity boom da boom" and "tell me more, tell me more". I also thought this particular show would be interesting because the Danny and Sandy leads came from that reality elimination-style show "Grease: You're the one that I want".

Unfortunately, I was pretty under-whelmed by the whole spectacle. It wasn't awful, by any means, but it wasn't fantastic. I thought the choreography was sloppy oftentimes and the singing was good, but not amazing. Also, at one point, "Danny" kind of slipped during "You're the One That i Want" and slammed against the 50's diner counter -- honestly, it really was barely noticeable... but still.

The best part of the show was actually the fact that I was surprised to see Taylor Hicks (of American Idol fame) as the Teen Angel and he sounded great.

But the bottom line? That's fifty bucks and two hours I'll never get back.

No comments: