Monday, June 2, 2008

WHERE Does the Time Go?

I can't believe it's already June. JUNE. As in, nearly half way through the year. I guess this is what happens when I spend a ridiculous amount of time on airplanes traveling all over the place.

This was May for me:

New York -- 2 days

Orange County, CA -- about 12 hours* (12 pretty fun hours with Special K, Dougie Fresh, PJ and JD)

Vancouver -- 2 days

San Diego -- 2 days

Silicon Valley -- 3 days

Orange County -- 2 days

Silicion Valley -- 2 days

San Diego -- 5 days

Columbus, OH -- 2.5 days

Calgary -- 5 days (fun mini-break back home with the parents!)

San Diego -- 1 day

Silicon Valley -- 2.5 days

Orange County -- 2 days

And now, exactly one month after I left, I am finally back in NYC.

I have to also say that it's getting more and more obvious that the airlines are really cutting corners under the financial/fuel cost pressures they're facing. Twice, I've been on JetBlue flights where my TV set didn't work. Twice, I've been on AA flights where the light above my seat didn't work. (THAT was lovely on the way back from Columbus at night when ALL I wanted to do was read.)

And as if the airlines weren't already nickle and diming us to death, now AA is going to start charging a $15 fee for your first checked bag. That's right, you can no longer check a single suitcase without having to fork over even more cash. I also learned that about three weeks ago, the fee for changing your flight (i.e. even before you pay any difference in fare) has now gone up to $150 from $100. Sheesh.

* It was actually cheaper (a LOT cheaper) for me to book two separate tickets on two different airlines (one leg from NYC to Long Beach on Jet Blue and the second leg from Orange County to Vancouver on United/Air Canada) to get to Vancouver from the east coast than it was to book the trip straight from NYC to Vancouver.

No comments: