Sunday, July 15, 2007

A Drowsy Afternoon


Here's what I love about New York -- you can literally walk out of your apartment on a weekend, not having any specific plans, and yet you can find enough to keep you busy all day.


Today, I thought I was headed over towards Bryant Park and Grand Central, and if my feet agreed, I was going to continuing walking way over to the east side to the United Nations building. On the way, I figured I would walk down 46th and see what exactly was in the block called "Little Brazil".


Well, now that the TKTS booth is actually part of the Marriott Marquis, I had to walk right by it since it faces 46th. It was just about 2:00 pm and so, of course, I had to stop and check out the board and see what tickets were still left. I ended up grabbing a ticket to see The Drowsy Chaperone and just like that, Bryant Park and the UN were completely forgotten and set aside for another day.


The Drowsy Chaperone is pretty good. The premise is clever -- it's a 1920's style musical, narrated by a current day musical-loving man who lives his lonely life in a drab NY studio apartment. He invites the audience to enjoy one of his favourite shows when he brings out the original recording LP of something called The Drowsy Chaperone, dusts it off for the turn table and begins to pull us into the world of fictional broadway stars and their histories . There are many LOL moments and our narrator (simply called "Man in Chair") is the glue that holds it all together -- he is insightful, funny, ingratiating and throughout the show, he reveals many layers of what turns out to be a pretty robust personality.


A perfect way to wile away a couple of hours on a drowsy Sunday afternoon.

No comments: