Sunday, June 3, 2007

I have a weight problem

Do you know how much a bag of towels weighs? Yeah, I don't know either. Absorbency, softness, lasting color... yes, I can describe all that. But weight? Not a chance.

Having been away in "Canadia" for five days and having not done laundry for nearly two weeks, I had quite a pile of clothes filling up my hamper... not to mention that the towels and sheets needed a good refreshing, too. I haven't used my building's laundry service since the week I moved in (and a big garbage bag full of clothes came back in a shrink-wrapped package the size of a block of cheese), but I decided that I'd split the load and give them all the big bulky stuff (sheets and towels etc) and I'd take care of my own clothes. (I still haven't gotten over the fact that in order for a stranger to do ALL of my laundry, said stranger must touch and actually fold my skivvies. It's just bizarre when your underwear comes back to you all perfectly folded -- by someone else.)

I marched downstairs with a big bag of sheets and towels and plopped it down on the valet's counter. Turns out that there is a 10-pound minimum for laundry. 10 pounds. Do you know what that is in metric?

I have no idea what a bag of linens weighs, but I'm guessing it's nowhere near 10 pounds. I'm not sure how I'm ever going to have 10 pounds of laundry at once. Not even relinquishing my skivvies in the future will help this weight problem.

No comments: