Wednesday, June 6, 2007

I :Heart: NY

Here are a few fun things that I'm loving about New York lately:

- The sudden appearance of numerous sidewalk/patio seating areas for many restaurants that have otherwise been cooped up within four walls all winter.

- Watching Central Park turn greener and greener, seemingly by the hour, as I regularly check in on it from the window of my office.

- The incredible array of colors in the spring as the flowers begin blooming. My faves so far are the lilacs (didn't have 'em in SoCal, but I used to worship them in Canada) and tulips (they are EVERYWHERE).

- Mary's Dairy ice cream.... oh... my.... god.

- Whole Foods and the fact that the shortest check-out line is at the sushi bar.

- Rooftop patios for drinks and appetizers at sunset.

- Black & White cookies (Seinfeld was right -- it's the perfect food harmony).

- Summer skirts, dresses and flip flops.

- Walking in the rain when it's still 75 degrees out.

2 comments:

Cathy K said...

Just some more places that I understand are uniquely New York AND amazing:

Murray's Cheese. The guy who owns this store even has a book called Murray's Cheese --Rob Kaufelt, cheese purveyor to American’s top restaurants and owner of Murray’s Cheese—named the world’s best cheese store by Forbes magazine—guides us through the bewildering variety of cheeses available today in this entertaining and indispensable guide

Russ & Daughters Smoked Fish (http://www.russanddaughters.com/) The website looks yummy.

Bouchon Bakery at the Shops at Columbus Circle--sounds pricey but exceptional.

And even though you aren't cooking, you might get inspired by visiting Bonnie Slotnick's Cookbook store.
Read how she got started (she was a fashion illustrator, I think) here:
http://www.maconareaonline.com/news.asp?id=8307

All I can say is, "I'm jealous!"

Shari said...

cath, thanks so much for the reco's! i've been the Bouchon Bakery -- i live pretty close to Columbus Circle -- and yes, it's yummy!

and i actually DID finally cook the other night... chicken, pasta and pesto, steamed spinach.... i used the stove top AND the oven, so it definitely counts as cooking. :)