Sunday, August 26, 2007

Fastest way to Identify a Symphony Rookie

It's the clapping. Seriously. And I have been completely guilty of it myself. The trick is that you are supposed to wait until the LAST movement of the symphony (or concerto or whatever) has been completed before you applaud. And I ALWAYS feel compelled to clap between movements.

This past Wednesday night, my friend Josh was playing at Lincoln Center with the Mostly Mozart Festival Orchestra. He is one of the best violinists in the world and once again, he did not disappoint. I love watching someone perform who I know personally, but almost as enjoyable as watching Josh was watching the other musicians in the orchestra watch Josh. You could tell that even they were blown away by his talent.

Josh played a very ambitious Prokofiev concerto and before the first movement was over, he had already broken two strings on his bow. I still marvel at the fact that his violin is a 300 year-old Stradivarius with an amazing history of its own.

After the concert, I met up with Josh and a few of his friends for a drink and a bite to eat... and as always, it's so refreshing to be reminded that such a successful, accomplished and talented person continues to be so down-to-earth.

3 comments:

Cathy K said...

Well, see, now you know how I feel about hanging around with you!! (really).

How much fun is that--Lincoln Center, an amazing performance and it's, in part, all courtesy of someone you know! Cool--way cool.

cmiller said...

You'll have to let me know if and when he is ever playing in London as I'd love to see him perform...the concert sounds amazing! Lucky you to have such a neat expereience.

Shari said...

CK -- you are too sweet and too good to me. :)

CM -- Josh is at the Royal Albert next week actually!