Sunday, August 26, 2007

“Strange women lyin’ in ponds distributin’ swords is no basis for a system of government”


I think that’s my favourite line from Monty Python’s “The Holy Grail”. (The “She turned me into a newt!” exchange is a darn close second.)

Special K was in town last weekend and we spent our Saturday night at the Shubert Theater watching “Spamalot”, the musical adaptation of “The Holy Grail”. While the show was undoubtedly hilarious and had us laughing all night, I think I actually gave my seat mates an even grander show that night, albeit quite inadvertently and unexpectedly.

Rewind to earlier in the evening as we’re getting ready to go out and I wriggle into a grey knit shift dress and because I don’t currently have full-length mirror in my apartment, I ask Special K if he thinks the dress is too short. Of COURSE he says it looks great (he is a boy after all) and off we go.

At the theater, we find our seats and Special K goes off to the restroom. There is one man already seated in our side of the row and our seats are on the other side of him. He is currently absorbed in a conversation on his cell phone. It’s only a few minutes before curtain, so I don’t feel bad making my way down the aisle to sit down, even though I’ll obviously have to disrupt his phone call.

He doesn’t even realize I’m there until I lightly touch him on the arm, say “excuse me” and motion to the seats on his other side. Instead of standing up properly to let me pass, he cradles his cell phone between his right ear and shoulder, uses his hands to hoist himself up by using the armrests as resistance and ends up sort of perched on the edge of his now flipped-up seat.

As I’m trying to slip past him, he loses his grip on the armrests, his seat flips back down under his full weight and his knees and legs shoot forward, right between my legs, pinning me in place as I’m now straddling this strange man (in a short dress …Me, not him.) Even at this turn of events, he still does NOT hang up the phone. “Oh, I just ran someone over” is what he says to his conversation mate on the other end of the line.

After what seemed like an eternity (but was probably only about 5 seconds), I manage to extract myself from this man’s lap and I sit down with as much decorum and class as I could muster.

He finally hangs up his phone, leans over and says “Geez, I’m really sorry!” and then with WAY too much enthusiasm, he says “We’re gonna have a GREAT time tonight, yeah!!”

Not THAT great, buddy, trust me.

No comments: