Tuesday, August 7, 2007

My RENT was Overdue


Last Wednesday night, Nick, Ally and I went to see RENT on Broadway. I’ve seen RENT once before (back in the day, in Los Angeles, when Doogie Howser played Mark), but this was something special because both the ORIGINAL Mark (Anthony Rapp) and Roger (Adam Pascal) have returned to the cast.

When Mark and Roger first appeared on stage, there was more screaming and shrieking from the audience than you see in old black & white footage of Beatles concerts. Seriously, the girls behind us nearly blew our ear drums and then they sat literally whimpering and on the verge of hyperventilating for the next two hours and forty minutes.

We were completely surrounded by RENTheads. Actually, Ally and I were accompanied by our very own RENThead. Nick has seen RENT seven or eight times now and knows all the words and all the lyrics. It was really fun watching the show with someone who loves it so much.

I personally enjoyed getting reacquainted with the storyline and the characters and you can’t help but enjoy Jonathan Larson’s clever lines and lyrics (and the actors’ individual interpretations of such), but at the end of the day, I still find myself musing over the question “Why don’t they get JOBS?”.

No comments: