Monday, August 27, 2007

Typical Saturday Morning on the UWS

Saturday morning, I threw on a t-shirt, a pair of shorts, my runners and I set off for a walk. I had no real plan or any particular destination in mind, so I ended up walking up Broadway from about 62nd to 95th and back again. According to Yahoo! Answers, there about 20 north-south Manhattan blocks in a mile. That means I walked about 3 miles. Not bad. (Someone check my math, please.)

Here's what the Upper West Side was up to on a random Saturday morning:

-- Lots of power walkers cruising hurriedly along, pedometers in place.

-- Actual groups of joggers. I haven't seen groups of joggers since my days in The OC.

-- The Avis car rental place was positively teeming with customers... Manhattanites gettin' their drive on to get out of the city for the day or the weekend.

-- Zabar's market already absolutely packed, with a row of curly-haired ladies lined up at the window counter, all with reading glasses perched at the ends of their noses while they read various papers and consumed various Saturday morning pastries.

-- Early bird shoppers at Fairway scooping up the freshest fruits and veggies before the crowds hit.

-- Men pushing strollers, but said strollers full of groceries instead of small children.

-- The weekly farmer's market in the triangle at Broadway and 65th.

-- A few random drunks still left over from Friday night.

2 comments:

Chet said...

Should've swung by H&H for a bagel. You were in my hood...I miss it, but I'll be there in September.

Shari said...

I actually did cruise by H&H, but there was already a looooonnnngggg line, so I opted to stick with Jamba. :) Looking forward to seeing you in Sept!