Sunday, August 26, 2007

Modern Day Ziegfeld Follies – with John Travolta in Drag


I have been meaning to go see a movie at the Ziegfeld simply because it is one of the last grand movie palaces built in the United States. When I first heard about the Ziegfeld, I thought it might have actually been the original theater built in 1927 and now just repurposed for film, instead of live performances. But the original theater was actually razed in 1966 and this new theater was built just down the block from the original location in 1969.

It turns out that the original theater was not only a live performance venue, but had also been used as an NBC television studio, it had hosted the Perry Como Show and it had hosted the Emmy's twice. The original building was tore down to make way for yet another skyscraper (like Manhattan needed MORE of those) and a piece of beautiful New York history was lost forever.

The “new” Ziegfeld is gorgeous inside – miles of sumptuous red carpet, gold trim and detailing. You feel like you really should be dressed in something more than just shorts and flip-flops when you're surrounded by so much gilt and velvet. Oh, and the bathrooms have private sinks in each stall – your own private powder room. Tres chic.

On the day I decided to cross “See movie at the Ziegfeld” off my list, “Hairspray” was playing. Being a Sunday matinee, there were probably fewer than 100 of us in a theater that holds over 1000 people. People were spaced comfortably apart, no one sitting directly in front of anyone else. That is, until two 50-ish women, scurried in just as the previews were beginning, slid into the aisle in front of me and proceeded to sit directly in front of me. I sat there in disbelief with my hand suspended in mid-air, on its way to deliver a few fluffy pieces of popcorn to my waiting mouth. Are you KIDDING me?? An empty theater and you are sitting RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME?? One of the women realized what they had done, nudged her friend and they moved over a few seats.

In retrospect, I think they were just literally SO EXCITED to be there that they momentarily forgot themselves as they were choosing seats. As soon as the film began with the good morning Baltimore song, they were bopping and weaving in their seats to the music. And it wasn’t long before they started singing along with the lyrics. And so did the women a few rows behind me. As a Hairspray virgin, I was starting to feel a little out of place, but I persevered.

It wasn’t until a few days later when I rediscovered my ticket stub in my bag that it all made sense. The ticket read “Hairspray – Sing-A-Long!”. Ah ha. THAT explains A LOT, including the karaoke-style lyrics on the screen all throughout the movie.

Ziegfeld Follies indeed.


(Photo note: The image above is the original Ziegfeld -- can you believe they tore this down?)

2 comments:

Cathy K said...

I bet you thought they were just two more typical NY babes!

From the picture it's hard to imagine tearing it down, but not ever seeing it's final shape, it's hard to know. Unfortunately sometimes the maintenance gets left so far behind, it's not possible to 'fix' it--at least at a reasonable fee. When I was in NY a lifetime ago, I went to Sunday early morning mass at St Patrick's (it's the largest gothic cathedral church outside of Europe). It's in need of repair too. You need to pop by and let me know if they did any restoration work on it

http://www.saintpatrickscathedral.org/home.html

It's unbelievable. I can't imagine the church buildings in Europe

Shari said...

St. Patrick's is not only still standing, but it is as grand and beautiful as ever. It's not going anywhere any time soon. :)