Sunday, April 22, 2007

A Brilliant New York Weekend

Snapshot of my first true spring weekend in Gotham...

-- Spontaneous invitation (and acceptance of said invitation) to McGee's pub on Friday night with a motley crew from our other office. Much revelry and much discussion about the nature of the Red Sox uniforms that night. (And many sad faces at the ultimate fate of the Yankees.)

-- Errands and grocery shopping (so that my fridge contains more than just goat cheese, spinach and a six-pack of Stella -- which I don't even drink, by the way)

-- Subway adventure to get to Union Square .... no 1 trains running downtown, accidentally got on a C heading uptown (could have sworn I was on the downtown platform)... said C train turned into D train (due to a passenger with an illness) and made a hard left to Rockefeller Center.... consulted handy Manhattan map, got off at the Rock to switch to the F train.... waiting for the F, a woman and her daughter asked me (in Spanish, gracias) which train would take them to 34th Street and when I pointed them in the right direction, they promptly got on the OTHER train (ay caramba!).... F must stand for "finally" because 45 minutes after my adventure began, I finally made it to Union Square.

-- Delighted to find the Green Market at Union Square, a very extensive farmer's market with brilliant flowers, fruits, veggies and even roots. Yes, roots. Also a fun selection of artisan-type displays where I picked up a little something special for Special K. (We'll see if he reads this before I see him again!) :-)

-- Dinner at Sparks, including an unbelievable glass of 137 year-old Grand Marnier.

-- Fun Sunday lunch at Shelli's on 57th where I had the most INCREDIBLE eggs benedict.

-- Roamed around Central Park most of the afternoon enjoying the nearly 80 degree weather (along with just about everyone else in Manhattan -- Sheep Meadow and the Great Lawn were positively teeming).... enjoyed a beautiful African drumming session AND a random disco rollerskating exhibition.

Now, catching up on a tiny bit of work before Monday morning rolls around once again...

No comments: