Friday, April 6, 2007

The Top of the Rock

I am officially a high-end party crasher.

Thursday night, Eric S and I had made plans to get together for dinner. He called me at 5:00 and said “Here’s the deal…” and I interrupted “You are NOT going to flake on me, are you???” Long story short, Eric had been invited to a very swanky cocktail and dinner party for Mazda and said “Why don’t you come, too?” So off we went, me as the fill-in for one of Eric’s colleagues, Brad (an ex-colleague of mine, too) who was unable to make it. (I did try to wear Brad’s nametag, but the nice Mazda event people managed to scrounge up a proper tag for me.)

The party was at the Top of the Rock – the 67th floor of Rockefeller Center – in a new private event space (not the Rainbow Room) with ceiling to floor windows, two huge outdoor terraces and spectacular views of the city in three directions. It was a crisp, clear night and you could see forever – the city is absolutely gorgeous from the 67th floor as you’re standing around with some of the most elite people in the North American automotive industry, bellini in one hand, and crab cakes from Cipriani’s in the other.

Dinner was a riot at our table with the most random collection of automotive journalists/consultants, their wives, a couple of guys who produce a syndicated automotive radio show and a producer for the Today Show. Though not at our table, even Chip Foose (host of Overhaulin’ on TLC) was there.

Most fun, however, was chatting with friend and former colleague, Jean Jennings, the venerable editorial force behind Automobile Magazine. Jean was honored this week with the Ken Purdy Award for Excellence in Journalism, the highest possible honor in automotive journalism. As usual, Jean was in fine form with a one-of-a-kind winged hat (which she dubbed her “Easter bonnet” and almost took my eye out only once), her sharp wit and her absolute sweetheart of a husband, Tim. (Tim called me the “Queen of Digital”, so I have a soft spot for him already!)

One of Jean's funniest stories was about how insistent the Naked Cowboy was that she squeeze his butt. (and she wasn't even wearing the hat when she saw him!)

Towards the end of the evening, I did get to say hi to Jim O’Sullivan (President of Mazda USA) who was the ever-gracious host and really did seem to remember me from the Chicago Auto Show a couple of years ago.

With a royal wave, this party-crasher gratefully accepted her gift bag of Marie Belle chocolates and disappeared into the elevator to plunge 67 floors back to the reality of honking cabs and lost tourists.

2 comments:

TISH THA ISH said...

Yay, you got to hang with the Schwab! I miss that guy - Love reading about your NYC adventures :)

Shari said...

It was definitely a fun night! Tish, you have to come and visit me in NY! (And Nick, too!) And bring May with you. :)